Thursday, September 17, 2009

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

I'm kind of getting used to the long hours at the bakery physically but mentally is another story. The intense clip Jill and I have been working at for the past year or so is starting to take its toll on my mental state, but since Jill is smarter than me it's not so noticeable on her. Or maybe I was always like this, you know finding it hard to focus, forgetting conversations minutes after they have occurred, having trouble getting my thoughts out in a clear intelligible manner. I am over 50 so maybe it's the start of dementia or my past abuses coming back to haunt me.

Anyway the thing that really makes my brain spin like gears that need oil grinding and slowly wearing out, fizzling and sparking is having lots of decisions hanging over my head. For example the store hours have been a work in progress. We didn't really know when the traffic flow would be at its peak and what my production schedule would be like so it was hard to figure if we should take a day off or when we should open or close. Plus in the first month there were so many things to do not related to actually baking so I was always behind. Anyway we have arrived at what we think will be good for our customers and good for my sanity. Remember at this point I am basically the only one who knows how to make everything we bake though that is starting to change slowly.

We opened this past Sunday for the first time and it was a pretty good day. But now I have no days off and no day to run errands personal or business, go to suppliers, get ahead on production or other life needs. Meanwhile Monday's have been slower than molasses so it makes sense to close on Monday's. I will still be working in the kitchen restocking from the weekend and getting ready for the week coming and I can now got to Jetro for ingredients and supplies (and save money rather than paying the higher prices for vendors that deliver), or restaurant suppliers. Plus I can end my day early and pick Jack up from school and make Monday's playground day or play-date day or just hang with him.

We are also going to stay open later the other week days to accommodate those that get home a bit later. Hopefully these changes will work out for the time being. We will probably add some time for the holiday season but for now hear it is:

Tuesday-Friday: 7AM-7:00 PM
Saturday: 8:00AM-6:00PM
Sunday: 9:30-5:00PM

No comments:

Post a Comment