Monday, January 11, 2010

It's Funky Donkey Time

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I last blogged. As you can imagine the holiday season at the store took lots of my energy and time and left little in the tank for anything extra. It's also a real challenge to find something to write about other than the business since I am here for so many hours. Plus it's hard to separate the business from blog. More specifically for the blog I'd like to be real honest but maybe from a business standpoint that is not the best thing? That's a round about way of saying that the last few months have been real challenging. This was not the best economic climate to start a new business and we have to work so hard to overcome the fact that people are being careful with their money.

With that said last night I had one of those moments a parent wishes for. I was in my bedroom watching the end of the crazy Packers vs. the Cardinals playoff game while waiting for Jack's bath to get ready. Jack came into to the room and put on the ipod on Jill's night stand and found an obscure song called "It's Funky Donkey Time" by the extremely talented and funky drummer Bernard Purdie. Bernard has played with James Brown, Aretha Franklin and a host of other notables, being one of the most recorded drummers in history. Check out his drumming on Rock Steady one of the coolest drum beats ever.

Well something about the song clicked with Jack and he kept playing it over and over again (safe estimate a dozen times) while dancing and jumping on the bed. The song put us both in a great mood, it was a good way to end the day. Jack said how much he loved the song and how good Bernard was on the drums. Unfortunately the way he put it was "Daddy he's a great drummer, better than you. I like your drums too but this is so good". Well I have to admire his honesty and his knowledge of music because frankly Purdie is much better than I ever was or will be. I just had to agree with Jack and be glad that we shared this moment, my son has good taste in music and I got to see the end of a wild football game. It doesn't get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment