Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let it Snow

Showing up each day at the bakery at 5:00 am can feel a bit lonely, certainly quiet. After spending about 30 years in bands and providing music at bars, clubs or for parties I was used to getting home at that time. Now I pass by bars with patrons leaving to make their way home. Quite a change of lifestyle.

Today I'm here and it seems extra quiet. Of course now that their are tenants in the apartment above me I wait to turn on the music until about 7:00 or I put it on real low. But the snow still gives a feeling of a blanket of peace being dropped on Brooklyn. I've spent the last hour or so deciding how much pastries I should bake to put out today. Will anyone be on the streets and in need of a cup of coffee, a muffin, scone or biscuit? It's hard to tell but I guess it will be a slower than usual Wednesday.

I'm hoping that I can get done extra early and spend time with Jill and Jack. Jill will be working from home as the City announced yesterday that they would shut the schools. Jack was pumped because he saw it as an opportunity to stay home all day and play with his DS. He has entered the world of video games and we lose him for chunks of time. We try hard to seriously limit and dole out permission to game, otherwise he'd turn into a zombie. Hopefully it won't be too windy in the afternoon so we can go out and build a snow man or go sledding or something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment