This recipe was loosely inspired from a Serious Eats Post by my friend Geetika Khanna of the Indian Culinary Center. I basically made an improvised "Indian Style" Stew with spices and ingredients on hand for my dinner tonight. Feel free to play around a bit with the spices,omitting or adding or using less of a particular spice.
Here is the recipe:
Cauliflower, Potato & Red Bean "Indian Style" Stew
3 tablespoons Grapeseed Oil (or Canola or Sesame)
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds (preferably black)
1/4 teaspoon green cardamom seeds
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic minced
Chopped Serrano pepper to taste (optional)
half of red onion large dice
Sea Salt to taste
half of head cauliflower cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup white wine
2 tablespoons tumeric
1 tomato chopped
1 15 ounce can Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk
3 small Yukon Gold Potatoes (small pieces boiled 10 minutes, set aside)
1 can organic Red Kidney Beans, drained
Chopped Cilantro to taste (optional)
1. Heat oil in large saute pan on medium high, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and cardamom seeds, stir constantly for 30 seconds or until seeds become fragrant. Add garlic , ginger and serrano pepper and cook another 30 seconds. Add onion and touch of sea salt and keep stirring & cooking for a few minutes longer
2. Stir in cauliflower and continue to cook and stir for another few minutes.
3. Add tomato paste, white wine, and tumeric and cook for a minute or two longer.
4. Add tumeric, chopped tomato and coconut milk, lower heat and simmer until cauliflower softens.
5. Add cooked potatoes and red beans and simmer for about 10 minutes or longer to thicken stew and let flavors meld.
6. Serve in a bowl with chopped cilantro if using and a slice of naan if lucky enough to have on hand.